Flintlock Marmoset Render B

3D head scan during initial development of props (Marmoset Toolbag).

Flintlock Marmoset Render B

3D head scan & accompanying props (Marmoset Toolbag).

Flintlock Marmoset Render B

3D head scan & accompanying props (Marmoset Toolbag).

Flintlock Marmoset Render B

Close-up shot depicting underlying wireframe (Marmoset Toolbag & Photoshop).

Flintlock Marmoset Render B

Screenshot from short film.

Flintlock Marmoset Render B

Screenshot from short film.

Flintlock Marmoset Turntable Video

Short film showcasing final product. (Marmoset Toolbag & After Effects).

↓ View Description

Personal Work
Workflow: Nikon D3100 Photoset ➞ Agisoft PhotoScan (3D Scan Construction) ➞ ZBrush (Anomaly Repair, Retopology, Detail Sculpting & Initial UV Unwrap) ➞ Agisoft PhotoScan (Photoset Texture Projection) ➞ ZBrush (Low-poly Retopology w/ ZRemesher) ➞ 3DS Max (Modelling of Cryo Jar, etc) ➞ xNormal ➞ Photoshop ➞ Marmoset Toolbag ➞ After Effects (VFX for Video)
I conducted this project to teach myself about photogrammetry. Unlike the other work in my portfolio, the head model seen above was not created from scratch. The base mesh was captured from 3D scan data. I learnt a lot from the experience and will be publishing a tutorial on the process to my blog shortly.

I encircled the subject with eight markers, distributed evenly on the floor. For each marker, I took three photos: one from below, one from eye-level, and one from above. I took some additional photos at the end to capture extreme angles occluded from the other photos.

Various features such as the eyes, headscarf and cryogenics-reminiscent jar were created from scratch in 3DS Max, Photoshop and ZBrush.

The end product is a short video toying with the prospect of emulated intelligence. I created the footage using Marmoset Toolbag’s turntable render feature. The footage received its editing and special effects in After Effects.

A lightweight version of the head was uploaded to Sketchfab’s web viewer and accorded a staff pick.